Sunday 2 March 2008

Rough-Legged Buzzard on the A134, 02/02/2008

A successful day at Lynford was followed by the drive back to King's Lynn, looking forward to a walk at Heacham beach for shorebirds, but during any drive in Norfolk it seems that there is always wildlife to be seen & in this case what appeared to be a buzzard flew over the road (the A134).

I couldn't recall ever seeing a buzzard in Norfolk, it's a bird that doesn't seem to be as widespread as it is in other parts of the country, however as the car passed right underneath this one, I was able to glance up & notice that it was quite a pale specimen & with strikingly dark underwing patches. Then as I looked as much as safely possible to the rear, I noticed a different fight to normal, with half extended wings & a slightly flappy flight.

Consulting the guidebooks on my return to the house I found the dark carpal patches & the 'soft' flight were diagnostic of a Rough-Legged Buzzard, a new species for me, & a frequent winter visitor to East Anglia, maybe more frequent than the Common Buzzard. I only wish I had pulled over & taken a better look.

On the drive to Heacham on the A149, to again highlight the great sightings to be had from the car in Norfolk, a Barn Owl was spotted quartering scrubland off the bypass. And the next day there was more...

No comments:

Post a Comment