Monday 17 March 2008

Marbella & Malaga, Spain, 28/02 to 02/03/2008

A brief weekend to the south of Spain for some early spring sunshine which didn't disappoint & whilst relaxing I of course kept my eye open for any Mediterranean birds.

In & around the urbanacion where I stayed:
Swallow, House Sparrow, Collared Dove, Kestrel.

I also noticed a small yellow-green bird that was particularly vocal. When it called it reminded me of a pied wagtail & when in full song it was a cross between a goldfinch & a corn bunting with a series of jingle-jangle notes delivered either from a perch or from a short song flight. After consulting my PDA's RSPB guide it was obviously a Serin, a new species.

In the evening on the beach in Marbella:
Herring Gull. I also noticed small flocks of compact white birds with bowed wings & small bills which quickly identified as Cattle Egret, another new species.

Next day on the Callahonda beach:
Lesser Black-backed Gull (possible Yellow-Legged Gull), Little Egret, Serin in the nearby gardens.

Finally driving through the countryside behind Malaga, on the way to the airport another Cattle Egret, more typically perched on a horse. Finally at the airport House Martins already nesting at the airport terminal building.

No comments:

Post a Comment