Sunday 17 October 2010

Hampstead Cemetery & UCL Sports Ground, London, UK, 17-Oct-2010

09:30 - 11:45
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: After the previous weekend's firecrest I was enthusiatic to hit the patch again & was out for the cemetery's opening time. I realised autumn migration was the best time for the patch & had my fingers-crossed for another firecrest or another site-tick.
Weather: cold, bright, sunny, still.
21 species

Black-headed Gull X - over.
Herring Gull X - over.
Common Wood-Pigeon X
Great Spotted Woodpecker 1 atop a dead tree in the bright sunlight.
Eurasian Jay X
Common Magpie X
Carrion Crow 3
Skylark X a brief flurry of skylark-sounding song from a bird flying overhead. It was soon gone but the call was distinctive - still only a probable though. Would have been a site-tick.
Coal Tit X
Great Tit X
Blue Tit 3
Long-tailed Tit X
Eurasian Wren X
Goldcrest X
European Robin X
Eurasian Blackbird X
Redwing X
European Starling X
Common Chaffinch X
Lesser Redpoll 7 in the large silver birch on the path up to the garden of remembrance. I heard their flutey calls at first which caused me to double-back on my circuit. As I crept towards the tree I caught site of a bird I had not seen in over 20 years due to their unfortunate drastic decline in that time. I was able to get fairly close & found a lovely little feeding party merrily going about their business amongst the catkins. There may have been a couple of paler individuals but I didn't get a good enough look at those to clinch common redpoll. Another great site-tick & a poignant look at a previously common bird that I was very familiar with as a kid. They eventually flew off jingling & jangling, as a dog-walker came up the path. I hope it's not another 20 years til I see another one!
European Goldfinch X

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment