Monday 13 April 2009

RSPB Lakenheath, Suffolk, 13/04/2009

Weather as before, sun trying to break through. From 9:30am.

Final port of call in the Brecks; this reserve seems to fast maturing into something special, though unfortunately the shrike had departed a week earlier.

From the carpark to the visitors' centre & along the main path to the top of the reserve: Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Pied Wagtail, Coot, Sedge Warbler, Mallard, Rook, Blackcap; Great Spotted Woodpecker - first drumming then a bit further along a couple active together in the treetops; Blackbird, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Great-Crested Grebe, Wren, Crow.

Over the reedbeds the Marsh Harrier were in good form, with some sky-tumbling & also very vocal with a mewing sound I haven't heard before.

Further along the distinctive booming of a Bittern was heard, a first for me at Lakenheath but I didn't look for it in the thick reedbeds as I didn't fancy my chances against its camouflage; overflying Shelduck & Greylag Goose, Tufted Duck (7 - 4 male) on a small reedbed pool before taking wing.

In the reedbeds at the end of the reserve I heard 'pinging' Bearded Tit & as I waited I caught a few seconds view of a couple of squabbling bright orange males - the typical view. Later from the viewpoint another male appeared at the top of a reed & stayed there for a good 30 seconds or so giving me an excellent view in the sunlight, & probably my best view of the species to date.

After the reedbeds I walked up onto the washland wall; on the water or in the vegetation & reeds on either side: Mute Swan (pair), Reed Bunting, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Magpie, Redshank (pair), Little Egret (pair), Willow Warbler (heard), Green Woodpecker (heard), Canada Goose, Great Tit (2), Pheasant.

Towards the end of the wall, nearer the main washland 'lake': Egyptian Goose (pair), then a pipit flew over with a much stronger call note than 'mipit', a likely Water Pipit but it flew off into the distant (another good indication); Black-Headed Gull, Shoveler, Teal, Gadwall, Moorhen, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Swallow, Lapwing.

38 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment