Sunday 3 February 2008

Site Sight

A quick note on the site's layout, as you will see I'll have journal entries, new & old, sometimes just lists. I expect entries to be somewhat haphazard, it's going to be unavoidable due to time constraints plus I feel it's a good way to represent the randomness of what one sees when out & about: nothing can be planned too precisely, it's just important to get out there, & if it takes you, to keep a note for posterity. I'll put effort into the filtering properties of the tags I give to the entries though.

I've also set up notable species pages to link their sightings to the journals, however Blogger doesn't allow static, stand-alone pages like Wordpress does. I could create a normal blog post for each species but this won't do as I want these pages to stand outside the blog as they will be updated as time goes by. The current solution is to create googlepages for them although the drawback is that they don't allow comments to be left, for example identification tips, but it will have to do for now. There are plans for static pages in Blogger so I hope to change the species pages then, or I may come up with a better solution in the meantime.

Finally I decided against simply using Wordpress, or some other tool, because I had a Google account & wanted to make use of Picasa to integrate photographs of the places I visit as well as my attempts at digiscoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment