Monday 30 June 2014

June 2014

I kept the spring momentum going with a visit to Great Meadows NWR on a lovely summer day. The target species was MARSH WREN of which I saw many and heard more, for a life-tick. I also saw 13 Common Nighthawk flying in some sort of migration or display high above the river. It was quite a sight!

Sunday 1st, Great Meadows--NWR, Concord Unit, MA, USA.

An Olmsted Park patch visit the week after where I noted resident breeding species, although at Willow Pond I spotted a Hairy Woodpecker which does not appear to be a resident breeder.

Saturday 7th, Leverett Pond, MA, USA.
Saturday 7th, Willow Pond, MA, USA.

The next day I was down on the south coast with the family and on a walk to Apponagansett Beach, Dartmouth I was surprised to hear and then see a couple of male Prairie Warblers singing enthusiastically.

Sunday 8th, Apponagansett Beach, MA, USA.

A few days after that I was in Chicago on a mini-break and ended up at Lincoln Park Zoo where I enjoyed a nice walk around the south pond, where the most notable species was Green Heron.

Thursday 12th, Lincoln Park, IL, USA.

On returning to Boston, I was able to confirm breeding activity for several species on my local patch.

Sunday 15th, Leverett Pond, MA, USA.

Next I visited Moose Hill and on my way there I spotted my first Massachusetts Fish Crow. Once at Moose Hill I had to wait around for quite a while before my target species eventually appeared, a life-tick DICKCISSEL. Well worth the wait! Other notable species at a lovely site were singing Scarlet Tanager and Bobolink.

Sunday 22nd, Route 9, MA, USA.
Sunday 22nd, Moose Hill, MA, USA.

My final Olmsted Park patch visit for more breeding birds or early movers:

Sunday 29th, Leverett Pond, MA, USA.
Sunday 29th, Willow Pond, MA, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment