Monday 13 May 2013

Olmsted Park--Willow Pond and Meadow, Suffolk, MA, USA, 12-May-2013

2:33 PM - 3:28 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Continuing on from Leverett Pond. One the way back I lingered in the area again between 1528 and 1550.
21 species

Rock Dove X - over.
Warbling Vireo X - heard.
Blue Jay X
Tufted Titmouse 2 both apparently wet after a wash!
Swainson's Thrush 2 in bushes next to the pond as I waited for the waterthrush to reappear. One appeared at first then another. They were furtive but then briefly fought each other and flew out of view.
American Robin X
Grey Catbird X
European Starling X

Northern Waterthrush 1 on the bank of Willow Pond. It caught my eye as I approached the rocks next to the path as it flitted up then down onto the mud. I quickly got my binoculars on it to reveal a prominent eye stripe, streaked chest, brown tones and bobbing tail. It was smaller than I expected but a straightforward id to make for a life-tick. It walked off round the pond & out of sight unfortunately.

Black-and-white Warbler X - several in the area.
American Redstart 1 male, high up in one of the tall trees just before the hill - a nice spot.
Northern Parula X
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1 male, on the way back, briefly sang and I was able to somehow get my binoculars right on it as it paused. Beautiful looking bird, unfortunately it didn't linger, and even though I thought I had a good handle on where it went to, it didn't reappear.
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1 heard.
Yellow-rumped Warbler X
Black-throated Green Warbler 1 male, heard then seen high in a tree at the top of the hill.

Song Sparrow 1 heard.
White-throated Sparrow 2 along the path at the bottom of the hill.
Red-winged Blackbird X
Baltimore Oriole X
House Sparrow X

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14091910

No comments:

Post a Comment