Sunday 21 March 2010

Hampstead Cemetery, London, 21/03/2010

11:50am to 12:50pm. Weather: bright, hazy sunshine, mild; little or no breeze.

A Spring has sprung patch visit, in contrast to my last wintry visit. Many species in good voice particularly the resident robins of which I estimate there to be at least a dozen territories around the cemetery. Otherwise fairly quiet without the buzz of winter thrushes & tit feeding parties.

Entrance:
Magpie, Woodpigeon.
Robin - many singing & prominent during the walk.
Dunnock - also in good voice; I saw 3 fighting & more later.
Chaffinch - a bright male & a few others around.
Wren, Carrion Crow.

South-side:
Green Woodpecker - heard yaffling, seen later flying off in the east-central area.
Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit.
Jay - a couple heard.

UCL Sports Grounds:
Song Thrush - one heard singing in the distance, & I later saw what looked like one fly up into shrubs near the playing fields.

East-side:
Long-Tailed Tit - 3 or 4 in a mobile party.
Greenfinch - 5 with a few great tits buzzing a bush but I couldn't see why.
Starling - 2 up from the ground.
Redwing - 1 into a tree as I made my way to the exit; late in the year but looking in fine fettle prior to flying home, it may have been that this was the song thrush I saw earlier.

17 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment