Tuesday 29 December 2009

Cantley Marshes, Norfolk, 29/12/2009

1:30 to 2:30pm. Weather: cold, grey, light breeze (NE).

Ever since first visiting the Yare Valley in Easter 2008 I had wanted to return especially after reading Crow Country which describes the amazing corvid winter roost. A speciality of the area also gave me reason to return & armed with Lee Evans's Ultimate Site Guide I found my way to the Cantley Sugar Factory & walked out past The Reedcutter pub along the river to look across the marshes, still in the shadow of the factory.

Black-Headed Gull, Lapwing, Starling, Mute Swan.
Fieldfare - a lone bird low down in the hedgerow.
Mallard & Wigeon - on the river.
Taiga Bean Goose - the bird I had come to see, they were fairly easy to pick out feeding peacefully on the marsh. There 12 to 20 & were identified from large size but obviously dark head & lower-parts, also a few individuals obligingly flapped their wings revealing a dark upper surface, diagnostic from greylag. I enjoyed watching them for several minutes, they oblivious to me before moving off for some lunch.
Great Spotted Woodpecker - flew from the marshes into a nearby copse.
Buzzard - flapped over.
Pied Wagtail (over)
Marsh Harrier - quartered near the bean geese.
Woodpigeon
, Wren.

14 species, 1 new species.

No comments:

Post a Comment