Tuesday 15 September 2009

Mass. Audubon Wellfleet Bay, Cape Cod, MA, USA, 15/09/2009

3pm-ish. Weather: bright, sunny, warm.

On the way back from P'town & a visit to this reserve was too good an opportunity to miss so we pulled in & I had an hour to get round. I walked through the woods down to the beach & then back, picking up several different species & a desire to go back to thoroughly explore the place.

Feeders:
Cardinal, Common Grackle, American Goldfinch.
Chipmunk.

Woodland:
Black-Capped Chickadee, American Crow.
Tree Martin - large numbers congregating over the marshes & passing through.

Shore:
Whimbrel - a lone bird on a nearby creek, a nice close view of a normally elusive migrant in the UK.
Double-Crested Cormorant, Herring Gull, Great Blue Heron - on the shoreside salt marshes.

Marshes:
Grey Catbird - on my way down to the shore I detected a skulking bird in the low foliage but I couldn't pick it out. On the way back I had more luck because there seemed to be a couple & eventually I got a view of a beautiful subtle grey bird, which I looked up afterwards & identified.
Black-Crowned Night Heron - heading back close to the visitors' centre I passed a couple of people stationary on the path who informed me of these birds standing still on low trees within a few metres of the path. There were 3 juveniles with big eyes & they were completely oblivious to the nearby people, an easy life tick!
Downy Woodpecker - in the trees, as expected.

Centre (another set of feeders):
Red-Winged Blackbird
, Song Sparrow.

15 species, 2 new species.

No comments:

Post a Comment