Saturday 30 May 2009

Weeting Heath NWT, Norfolk, 23/05/2009

Weather: sunny & warm. From 9:09am.

After the early start I had time to pop in to Weeting in the hope of seeing one or two of the specialities it offers during the summer.

From the carpark to the East Hide (left when facing the visitor's centre): Mistle Thrush singing before flying off over the road & very vocal Goldfinch.

A few steps further along I encountered a warden who immediately showed me the whereabouts, including prospective nestbox, of one of the specialities I hoped to see for a UK tick: Spotted Flycatcher. I had some good, close views of a couple before they became more elusive. Soon another group of birders arrived intent on seeing them & the increased pairs of eyes found them again further into the woods.

Eventually from the hide: Great Tit, Rook, Crow, Jackdaw, Lapwing, Chaffinch.
I didn't unfortunately have time to visit the other hide so missed the stone curlews on this occasion.

9 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment