Sunday 21 December 2008

Thornham Harbour, Norfolk, 21/12/2008

Weather: sunny & windy. From 2pm.

A visit to check the fields for anything different, but initially the usuals: Meadow Pipit, Black-Headed Gull, Redshank on the harbour mud, a group of about a dozen Brent Goose on the field, Curlew towards the beach as well as Bar-Tailed Godwit.

A nice group of about a dozen Linnet whizzed past the wall around the field & a Little Egret flew up from a nearby dyke. Then I noticed a few passerines foraging in the field, which is what I had hoped to see, & although the view was not great with the wind & lengthening shadows, I was able to spot Skylark (3). Next to them I spotted a couple of different-looking birds, smaller & feeding lower to the ground, again the view was not great but I could just about pick up the strong facial markings of Lapland Bunting (2). I decided to change the angle of my view & as they were nearer one side of the field I headed along the wall, however by the time I got round to a nearer section I could no longer see them unfortunately, nevertheless a new species despite the limited view. Hopefully with regular visits I will see them again, although the wind seems ever present at this site.

Heading back a few more species: Pheasant, Starling & Marsh Harrier towards the Holme hides.

13 species, 1 new.

No comments:

Post a Comment