Sunday 13 April 2008

RSPB Titchwell, Norfolk, 12/04/2008

Weather: Bright, sunny but fresh. From 930am.

Another outing to Titchwell, this time with Kim, so soon after Easter & with considerably better weather, was greatly appreciated but I wondered if I would see much more than I'd seen only a few short weeks ago.

As usual immediately in the car-park: Long-Tailed Tit, Robin, Woodpigeon were seen & in the early sunshine wren, greenfinch, chiff chaff & possibly blackcap were all in good voice. Walking up the path to the visitors' centre flushed Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, & then on the centre's feeders, House Sparrow, Goldfinch & Greenfinch.

Kim & I decided to head straight for the beach in the sunshine as rain had been forecast for later, so heading along the coast path on the marshes opposite to the scrapes, initially revealed Mute Swan, Coot, Black-Headed Gull, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose. Further along the path, the first Marsh Harrier of the day was soon followed by a couple of Greylag Goose which may have been spooked by it. There were still good numbers of Brent Goose mainly on the salt flats feeding in spread out small flocks. Also in amongst the marshes were Oystercatcher, feeding Avocet as well as a couple of flushed Reed Bunting.

At this point I heard the distinctive 'pinging' calls of Bearded Tits from the reed-beds near the Parrinder Hide, I have always found them quite elusive to see despite often hearing them. However on this occasion I had a bit of luck because after I stopped walking & waited briefly, three came into view amongst the reeds I was watching & I was able to get my first really good, albeit brief, views of the bird, including the male's vibrant colours. I've been going to Titchwell for many years now & they've always eluded me apart from the odd glimpse so the details of the view I had this time felt like I was seeing a new species, & hopefully now I've broken the 'jinx' I'll see them more frequently.

Continuing along the path & looking onto the scrape area near the Parrinder Hide: Gadwall, Mallard, Redshank, Shoveler. Further along, quartering the vegetation along the path wall a Kestrel, & then a few Meadow Pipit. On the last scrape before the sea-wall: Black-Tailed Godwit, a pair of Herring Gull & a single Ruff & Ringed Plover. Then amongst the last of the vegetation up to the sea-wall: Skylark, Dunnock, Linnet & Magpie.

Unlike my last visit the conditions were good for some sea-watching & immediately a good group of Oystercatcher were seen hunched on the shoreline & amongst them Sanderling scuttled up down avoiding the waves. Setting up the 'scope & taking a seat I began scanning the waves & was rewarded with a nice flock of Eider, one male & four or five females. Another striking bird that was soon picked out proved to be a Red-Breasted Merganser, my first for many a year. Finally a Great-Crested Grebe was picked out & then a small flock of Common Scoter flew in to join the party to create a nice selection of sea-birds. (All that was missing were a couple of divers!)

On the way back, we made time for a couple of the hides, & from the Parrinder Hide: Pied Wagtail, Teal, Shelduck, Moorhen, Cormorant & a busily feeding Starling. Kim then alerted me to conversations others in the hide were having indicating something of interest so we moved to that section of the hide & with help picked up Spotted Redshank which was showing well as it struggled in the sunlight to eat a fish it had picked up; plus it was coming into summer plumage with some much darker feathers on its breast. This was a first for Kim, a feeling I was recently acquainted with, & great to see a 'new' bird again so soon.
Continuing along, from the Island Hide, Wigeon, & a foraging Snipe &, always a treat, a striking duck coming into brilliant breeding plumage, a Pintail.

The final Fen hide provided no additions but some nice Marsh Harrier activity, plus I also heard my first willow warbler of the year though frustratingly I couldn't see it. Equally frustrating but with less annoyance through familiarity was a calling cetti's warbler or two but as usual no sign of movement after the loud call.

Going back to the car-park finally a Chiff Chaff was spotted foraging amongst the highest branches in the woods, & by contrast a Wren in the lowest shrubs. At the visitors' centre's feeders Collared Dove & whilst having a brew a Blackbird amongst the road-side nettles.

All in all a very successful day, one of the best at Titchwell despite no life firsts with a potentially record total.

53 species, none new.

No comments:

Post a Comment