Wednesday 30 May 1990

Elmpt Woodlands, Germany, 30/05/1990

Bright and sunny.

Usual woodland birds: Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Marsh Tit, Blackbird, Dunnock, Blackcap, Chiff Chaff, Woodpigeon. Two very noisy Great Spotted Woodpecker were heard and whilst watching the birds at close quarters the cause of the agitation became apparent. A Weasel cam past at about 1 yard, so close that I could have touched it. It had a mouse or vole clamped in its jaws and eventually scampered off into the undergrowth as I continued to watch the woodpeckers.

Later on whilst I watched a hole in a tree for any activity I noticed a Bank Vole scampering through the undergrowth. Whilst I cycled near farmlands I saw: Collared Dove, Swallow and Starling.

The song of what I believed to be a garden warbler made me stop and see if I could see the actual bird. However after a while of listening and a few sightings I concluded that I had seen only blackcaps.

14 species including 0 new species, with no binoculars.

No comments:

Post a Comment